Friday, June 29, 2007

Magnet fishing


I did a new flower stamp in a nicer piece of steel and made that up into a tool to fit in the press. I used the procedure described yesterday to harden him back up and tempered the face back down to a sort of peacock blue. I don't think it was really necessary as it gets exposed to a lot of heat jaming it into white hot blanks, but doing the last one in a piece of faulty steel made me want to do this one properly.
I made six flowers with it in the afternoon heating and pressing each blank twice and then popped them in a wire basket to cool them down in the pond. The joy of success and the fact that the tool showed no signs of deterioration made me a little stupid and as I was jiggling the basket about to shake off the water one popped out and disappeared into the gloop at the bottom of the pond sending up a few bubbles of stinky methane. The idea of slopping around in there to get it back suddenly made me very wise and I fetched the old speaker magnet I keep on the press to hold spanners and whatnot, popped it onto a steel bar and went fishing. After scaring up a lot more stinky bubbles I soon had the little poppet back in the basket. I must remember to dredge out the pond a bit sometime when there isn't too much wildlife in it.
A similar exploit to the washing machine fishing trip back on january 29th.
Artrage sketch