Monday, June 25, 2007

All change


I must get back into the habit of saving some steam for drawing. This morning I brushed off the door bits a little more and put everything back together to stand for a while longer. I then shifted over to metal work again with the bench freed up. I had a little go at iron twiggy shapes. I think I have the method for them worked out. So I was drawing out lengths of square bar into tapers for that and experimenting with twisting, flatening and then untwisting. As a sort of intermission job I used a few clamps and whatnot to straighten out the frame from wednesday last. It had developed a twist in welding, so I clamped the diagonally opposite corners down to overhang the edge of a block of steel and applied heat to the other two corners. I left it for an hour and it seems to have settled into a flat plane properly.