Sunday, June 24, 2007

Brush up


I decided to put the whole machine into mothballs for the day for the sake of the little eye problem, which is feeling a lot better. I still haven't lost the little sucker in there, so I am not happy yet. I will keep an eye on it, ha, ha.
My daughter had a free day from college so I asked her to cook up the door for me. She is just brushing off the cinders here. This gives a nice tough surface to the wood and a uniformity that I like. It brings out the texture of the wood grain as well. I will apply finish to the panels and do one more trial fit before glue up. The scorching work is best done with the door assembled to keep the flames off of the joints, which show up whiter here on the edge of one of the main stiles. Then everything is taken apart to make the brushing work easier. It is a very dusty job, but it is interesting to see the grain pop out as you brush off the cinders from the surface. As I have mentioned before, you should scorch in small patches widely spaced to avoid a flow of warpage building up by just scorching along the length. Fingers crossed, there doesn't seem to be any dramatic warping in this one.