Friday, July 13, 2007

Tribute

This old moss covered whale of a mulberry tree was one of my favorites in the locality, but alas someone decided to cut it down today. The picture only shows the horizontal part of the trunk where it peeks out from the sea of undergrowth. I am not sure how old it was, I'll pop up and check tomorrow, but it was about two foot thick at the base I suppose. The reasoning for its destruction was to improve the view, but in my opinion the tree was the view. I tried a few polite objections when I found out the plan this morning, but they were not to be disuaded and prayers for rain were left unheeded. The tree has grown up on a slope and as it tilted over into the chasm the main trunk has been left horizontal while the canopy remains upright, so there must be some nice wavy grain in there. I prefered it snaking its way through the undergrowth and I will miss it.
It is ironic that the landlord would not let them cut down any of the two a penny cedar trees that are so abundantly over planted that they have no ecological or economic value. They really do obscure the view and would be better replaced with something else.