Saturday, July 14, 2007

Typhoon


We are getting heavy rain and the forecast is for a typhoon to pass right over us, so I put on my rainwear and boots and popped out earlier to tie stuff down. I have a fair bit of material stacked up around the house, so I have a couple of hooks in the walls, rope around the timber and pull it tight with one of those truck hitching knots called a "nankin" here. Presumably because it originated in the city of Nanking in china. It is a useful knot to have in your sock drawer. We don't usually get much of the wind down in the valley, but if we are unlucky with the direction there is a wind tunnel effect that can cause a bit of a rumpus. By lucky chance I have my stack of stuff on the lee side of the house from that, but the shelter I built for the press and whatnot last summer faces straight into it, so it will be interesting to see if it is still there after the storm has passed.