Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Exhibit


Talk of the devil.
I had a bit of a gruelling day up the scaffolding applying a gloop of emulsion paint and fine sand to the more fiddly walls of the roof structure. Writing about the sculpture suspension yesterday I was reminded that I should get on and update my homepage, and that in turn reminded me that I had a picture of the piece we were manhandling yesterday.
I like the idea of incorporating movement in sculpture. Not in the Calder sense of mobiles, but echoing the photographic phenomenon of defining one moment by the amount of time it takes to open and close the shutter. When the subject is in motion a long moment captures a wide arc of movement. In this photo the left hand shows it most as there appear to be two of them. Which forms are emphasized in the work really depends on the lighting. The ropes are a lot of finer strings wrapped around stones from the river like little ancient axe heads. These act as toggles as the rope is passed through one of the voids in the piece. The wood is a large limb of driftwood from the stockyard of our local reservoir.
Off to the office computer for rewriting work.