Saturday, November 24, 2007

Winter wonder

Skype Saturday catching up, I have just expended my remaining energy fiddling on the pianio, so the crayons are still in the box.
The top of our stove was cut from a sheet of 1/2 inch thick steel that came from a big grill plate in a restaurant. We sometimes use it for cooking and I am keen to find more ways of getting value from the wood we use. We eat a lot of those little mikan oranges and sometimes put the skin on the stove. It gives a nice orangey scent to the homestead. It doesn't seem to make sense that this lovely shape will form the skin of a spherical object, the waves in the negative shape are nice too. All will shortly disappear into the hatch to come back as something else, but there are more Mikans in the bowl. And with a little care in peeling, the shape will appear again.
Last year I made several adjustments to the stove, but one I thought of never actually came to fruition. I was going to weld short lengths of steel bar on to the underside of the round hatch plate so that it would be hotter than the rest of the top for quicker hot water. Maybe next year.