Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Squiffy frames

One of the reasons why the original porch roof rotted down so fast was that the water pipes were leaking. One of the iron pipes has been replaced with copper now, but the other that is still holding its own is still in place. I am making up a little frame for a hatch to allow access to that just in case another replacement job needs doing one day. When I was taking the porch roof off I forgot to mention a tiny little golum creature I found. All grey to match the siding boards. At first I thought it was a large silver fish, but it was a very small gecko. I hope he has not perished with all the work going on. He kept trying to hide under the tip of my pry bar, which was the very worst place to be.
My wife was busy with translation work and I didn't want to trip the breaker with welding, so I got the frame done with gas instead of TIG. A couple of bits of scrap stainless steel angle and a bit of spray paint to blend it in with the eventual white rendering look and we were done. Most of the day fiddling on the computer going over translations.