Friday, November 16, 2007

Bedtime

I am pretty lazy when it comes to exercise and the like, but I have found that sleep does its work a lot better if I do a bit of stretching before buying the ticket to slumberland. I do quite a bit of nasty work in my day and several times over the past decade or so I have had that kind of back pain that means you have to actually hold on to your hips when walking to keep the top and bottom halves of the body joined together. It really feels so painful that the middle bit must snap off otherwise. I am a convert to the idea that all back pain is induced by the action of the legs. Relieving the stress on tense leg and bum muscles takes the pain away really quickly. Even one stretch on each side like this before sleep with no bouncing about or sudden moves has made that kind of extreme nastiness a thing of the past for me. I still feel like I am falling to bits, but not being cut in half anymore.
Incidentally, if you do have that kind of really bad lumbar pain and live a floor based existence as we do out here in Jippers, when you want to get up from lying down, roll over onto your front and then bring your knees up under you and get up from there. It works a lot better than the sideways or frontways approach for me, especially if you have something to hold on to to keep your balance.

Description of stretch in case you cannot interpret the above image.
Tuck your left foot up in against the inner thigh of the right leg. Spread the legs way apart if you can't do that. hold the right knee down with your right hand to keep the right leg flat on the floor. Reach out with your left hand to try and grab the toes of your right foot. You should not bounce to try and reach, just go as far as you can and hold that while breathing in a relaxed way for at least thirty seconds or so. When you get to the toes, you can make the stretch harder by pulling the toes toward you to make your calf muscles stretch more. Let your face go down onto your knee and just rest there once you have got the muscles stretchable enough to get there. You will probably find one side harder to do than the other, but they will even out in the end.