Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Enlightenment

Walking the pup. He always has such an untroubled and diligent air about him while in meditative mode, his expression as he glances toward me says, "Excuse me just a moment longer while I figure this out".
The difference between ourselves and animals is supposed to be the human ability to comprehend our own mortality.
A subject I have been known to ponder.
Today, as I idly fingered a twig of bamboo and waited patiently for chappy to finish his meditation, it struck me that complete enlightenment must obviously involve a simultaneous and absolute grasp of both states, utter ignorance of mortality and the reverse.
Before my eyes started to bubble thinking on how to achieve that, I began to chuckle as I realized that our combined souls must be getting pretty close to it in these moments where we diverge in our paths so completely.
Having achieved these pinnacles of contemplation it is a mercy that the pup is very good about choosing his spot, so out on the mountain roads I am saved the need to "tidy up", as it were.
We just move on together in our innocent quest for enlightenment, or at least understanding.