Thursday, May 15, 2008

Mooning

Listening to more of those podcasts has rather jaded the spirits. Stuff about how the subprime credit crisis was manufactured and the battles in Iraq. I must find something a bit more light hearted. Sitting on the veranda to listen out for wildlife I was pleased to be distracted by the moon rising above the trees. Most of the more dramatically lit craterscape had disappeared by the time I thought to stick the camera on the scope. I began to wonder where the blokes actually landed up there, that is one picture I would have liked to see in the "A man on the moon" book, which is still my bedtime reading. Fortunately a few words typed into google find all the landing sites laid out on their moon map.
Sadly a lot of the financial stuff I was listening to drew parallels between our current time and that time in the seventies when funding for the Apollo missions and a lot of other seemingly important stuff faded away. We do seem to have done a lot of nasty things in the "naughties". That seemed like such a light hearted name for the decade to start the millennium when I first heard it from a friend on the recent visit to blighty (from which I returned one month ago today), but perhaps it has a more sinister note as well.
Half a day on woodwork and off to the school for one of those object making volunteer sessions in the afternoon. Only four kids taking part this year, so I should be able to remember their names.