Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Jewels

This is the first day since I did the forest clearance where the rain has stopped for a while. As if to repay the effort, I got two little flycatcher visitors. I didn't have any binoculars or anything to hand, so I was willing my eyes to see them better. They were both striking in their beauty, self contained and multicolored jewels exquisite in their smallness. Not much of a drawing, but something of the abstract blobby elements I remember.
The hole I cut in the wall of bamboo stands out as a dark patch as it allows us to see through to the underbelly of the jungle across the river. The Blue and White Flycatcher on the right was perched on a twig of bamboo I had missed. Standing out against that darkness and really sparkling in its blueness. The Narcissus Flycatcher on the left was seen down in the area I had hit with the weed whacker and again shining out, but this time a sparkling yellow framed by its own blackness. That one I did try to get the telescope on, but I was too slow and the bird was too flighty. The birds are there every summer, but there is just too much jungle to see them. They almost seemed to be enjoying having a bit more space to fly about in, but I expect they were just taking advantage of the insects drawn in by the decaying vegetation.
I wonder what the flying squirrels make of the new landscape, I hope they take a second look before they leap if the rain holds off tonight.
Back into workshop dungeon photos tomorrow.