Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sofa bench beginnings

I went on a little visit to discuss another furniture project. This time a kind of bench or sofa for the house where this set of tables and chairs lives. The piece had been on the agenda back in March, but fell off the calendar for a while. It was worth the visit to get the various measurements and practicalities properly discussed. There is no substitute for going over these things with the client present as the smallest change of expression is an indication of a yay or nay. There are quite a few bits and bobs around the home here that I made and it was nice to see them again. Nothing wobbling or getting stuck, so no maintenance to do. It would appear that the owners get nice comments from the people who visit, which is pleasing for them. I was pleased to see that there were signs of the owners maintaining everything well, the front door looked especially dapper with stain for the Zelkova wood and oil for the iron work. I am sure these things will continue to gain more life as long as they are being used. At the moment my brain is full of getting those other chairs finished, but now it is starting to form foggy visions of this new project and maps of where the timber to make it might be found in the backwaters of my various lumber stores.
On the drive there I listened to a couple of podcasts by Stephen Fry, 1 and 3 of a series, for some reason my media player had refused to accept number 2. Very interesting and as usual a treat for the mental vocabulary muscle. I am afraid to say the word crap appeared at one point in number 3, but it was purely medicinal and entirely justifiable. I must go and try to resuscitate number 2 and wrap it in a warm towel or some such ready for another days input.