Thursday, June 12, 2008

Three and One

Orderly as ever, number three is now the first chair fully glued up and number one is the last to go in for its first session of traction. I nearly forgot to mark the tops with tape after scorching them up, which would have made matching them up with their legs a bit of a pain.
Today was the first volunteer session with the kids at school. Again I was struck by how much functionality is missing from the tiny digits as they first start to work. We were making those little knotted bracelets I mentioned the other day. It always seems to take time for the coordinated little pathways from the eyes to the ends of the arms to get freed up. Not to worry, I suppose they will all earn their living somehow.
Today was also D day for the kitten. He (I think) has just crawled up on to the shoulder for a nap and seems to be happy there. At first meeting he did a good rendition of the wild cat; hissing, spitting and swatting with the paw. However, he seemed to realize I had seen it all before and he soon settled down after tiring himself out with that essential nonsense. I don't want to give him a complex or anything, so I should add that I am sure it is really very effective. I would have been very scared by it if I had just stuck my paw into a dark burrow to find out what was in it. I remember once sticking my hand into such a hole and whipping it out when a strange rustling hiss came out of it. Actually it was some weird feather rustling evolved as defensive behavior by brooding Great tits that sounded like a hissing snake.