Thursday, July 31, 2008

Mystery tower

I was going to persevere with drawing, but having returned from the shops I found todays little effort more sculptural than I had thought, once it had been given a lick of paint, so here he is.
Not a scale model of the new oceanside whale emporium, or painful armor plating for the modern soldier's privates, but a useful addition to the whacking great chainsaw from a few months back.
My recent plank making efforts have reminded me that I was asked to tidy up the logs from the mulberry tree up the road. I would like to get some of them cut into planks and will need to use the long bar saw as they are too wide for the normal one. I aim to stick this little widget on the pointy end of the saw with a set of sturdy handles on to make the saw a two man device. With a bloke on either end as it were.
There was an aluminum insert in a slot like hole at the end of the bar, which I removed and that little lug front and center fits in there. A bolt passes neatly through the same hole and engages with the nut welded on the underside of the hole, also front and center. The little hyperbolic curved piece should act as a chip guard and prevent body bits from accidentally sliding near to the teeth. The handle I will add once the paint has dried is from one of the old weed whackers I was given to cannibalize, I don't know if you are familiar with these devices, but they mainly consist of a long shaft down a pipe that keeps the blade away from the person wielding the machine. The handle grips on to this pipe, so the cannibalized one I had set aside will clamp on to the whale watching tower at the back of the main hall here, that is if we resume the whale emporium hypothesis.
Oxycutting, grinding, bending and TIG welding were the main methodologies employed.