Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Fish scales

Solid blocks of time spent in the shop these days, this plank will be the bottom shelf of the book case. I shine a light across to check for areas I have missed as well as brighten up the spirits by highlighting the texture. One tries not to watch the clock, so I am not sure how long it took to chisel up the surface. I think I will limit the chiseling to the top and the bottom shelf.
It is sometimes fun to make the eye switch patterns like this from divots to bumps. The brain is always delighted to take responsibility for little chores related to editing sound and vision. If you can convince it that the light source is really from the opposite side it gives up and suddenly starts reading things the wrong way as if it were all true, in the same way that those 3D images suddenly flick into focus.
My head continued pondering the dolphin conversation issue long after I had left the water and I realized it was more complex than I had originally thought. I began to see that parts of speech like verbs would also have to be covered and immediately realized that the sonar images would negate the necessity for verbs in many circumstances as they would also be moving images in sound. They would include doppler effects that would convey relative speed, etc and make them much more difficult to interpret at least for my little noggin. I thought I ought to get that off my chest before I go off to the bath so that I can devote my time to some more productive thought.