Monday, January 12, 2009

Adult's day


Still slightly distracted as my internal engines try to picture the location of my wallet. I sawed up the remainder of the thinner firewood and then set to sawing up the plum tree cut down yesterday and also chopped that up with the axe. The repetitive motion of the circular saw against the break is very tiring in the end. In drawing I can recall the feeling of stuffing the saw hand into the gap between the blade guard and the handle to keep a firm grip on the thing in case it decides to kick.
It is Sammy's coming of age day today. Little ceremonies are held at community halls all over the country and it is a national holiday. Boys wear hakama or suits and girls Kimono or suits. One boy at the ceremony for those of my daughter's age wore a denim suit with broad white stitching, but that is so unusual as to be almost a clinical aberration.