Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Beans



After erecting the preassembled panels on Saturday, Sunday saw less dramatic changes laying a fairly scrappy block foundation around the raised bed portion at the northern side of the structure. Not much room left for actual crops as we are making the dome, but a few beans planted as well as some potatoes here and there. I checked how the blocks were doing and found that the scaffolding supports were redundant, so pulled all the scaffolding out from the north side after taking this, so I will be able to fill the spaces left for those pipes next. I also filled two of the gaps where I wasn't sure of strut measurements. The angles weren't quite right, but good enough for now. All the base struts are horizontal with a tilt of 10 degrees in to the center. It would add quite a lot of extra work to the cutting procedure to allow for a completely flat base, but having built this one I think I could figure out the necessaries to build another that was flat. I actually think the tilt inward is a good thing. Every surface has some kind of angle so there is nowhere for condensation to accumulate and start causing trouble.
Sadly I now have the measurements for these struts burnt into the memory bank.
I will try and make some more specific notes on that so that I can erase them from my mind.

Labels: