Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Aesthetic



I received a mail from a friend the other day which made mention of a query as to whether I was currently involved in making anything aesthetic. I had to think for a moment as most of my activity seems to be related to clearing up years worth of accumulated flotsam, but then I remembered this little project, which although functional does seem to fit into the category.
It seemed a shame to throw out the cylinder from an old office chair adjuster, so I am incorporating that into a chair for home use. There will be casters on the new curvy feet. The back rest struts are made from old car springs heavily adjusted under heat and hammer. The plate parts had already been part of an agricultural implement like a large fork, I presume that had been made during the war as it still bore the signs of where the shape had been cut out of a large leaf spring.
Working with this high carbon steel is much more work than mild steel, but it is rewarding and the finished item has much greater intrinsic strength. There is something about the denser material that causes it to shape in a different way, and also to hold detail that would normally be lost in later workings. It is also necessary to keep it hot under the hammer whereas a lot of work can be put into mild steel even when cold as long as it is annealed as it gets work hardened.