Tuesday, May 08, 2012

7:7



One of those days working from seven to seven. We didn't manage to completely cover the dome, but made a damn good effort at it. All the hexagons have some kind of extruded polypropylene panels. I imagine these will suffer from uv exposure, but they were pretty cheap, so I wanted to give them a try. The top pentagon has some transparent stuff I was given and the remainder around the base is a mix of thin polythene sheet types. I wanted to keep the woody look on the outside too, so I made a whole batch of furing strips cut without compound angles. This was doable on my small chop saw using it in an improper manner. I attached a sub base so that I could place the workpiece on the saw at right angles to it's normal attitude. We also rounded all the edges on the strips, which marked the end of a seven to eight day at the weekend.
The interior is now much more defined and there are certain strange qualities about it even with several faces still not covered. Odd acoustics that will hopefully disappear when there are some plants in there.