Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Upsetting



Apparently it was not the door pictured yesterday but the door on our truck that was in danger of falling to bits. The driver side door handle decided to leave go of its functionality and hang loose. Fortunately I am fond of tinkering, so it was a satisfying half hour I spent removing the internal skin and figuring out which bit of the door latch had suffered chronic failure.
Most of the day was spent on ironwork, using some pneumatic hammers to upset the ends of another set of stair handrail brackets as well as doing some drawing out on the same parts.
I also revisited a chisel I had drilled with the aim of drifting a hole in to turn it into a hammer. That may have been a few years ago, anyway I wanted a larger version of a hammer I am fond of using, so I took up the long unfinished item and had a go at it.

The object of my fondness on the right and my effort on the left. Not the worlds most beautiful instrument, but it is now of use and it actually has a nice balance to it. I find that despite the unwieldy appearance of hammers with a longer head, they do in fact hold their course better and somehow seem to require less effort to swing. If I find another cold chisel lying about I will make another with a different set of faces on.
One reason for the return to drifting was a small bit of slitting I did on the recent chair project. A chipping hammer had proved a useful aid as a kind of hot cutting chisel with a handle. And I used that again as the drift to make the rectangular mortise in the ,"hammer" head.