Sunday, November 26, 2006

Chipper

I did end up getting a load of dry logs from the woodyard, and they are now chopped up thanks to a sterling effort from young sammy, however I kept just one aside as possible carving material. It smells like fir to me, but I am not sure, suitably christmasy to match the time of year. I had a little go at it with the chainsaw, but quickly switched over to the hammer and chisel. The chainsaw is speedy, but no respecter of over cutting, so I am usually very sparing with it. Fittingly, the subject is based on sammy himself back when we found a tiny little Japanese dormouse earlier in the autumn. He was fascinated by it, especially when he found out they are an endangered species. The piece is just liftable, so I may move it down into the shop, but for today I was out in the drizzle whacking away in this peculiarly sensitive yet brutal form of communication with inanimate objects that I appear to enjoy. Much more fun than making firewood.