Friday, December 08, 2006

Snap crackle and pop

Another day of crane trials. I went to pick up a ceramics kiln that was being disposed of at a primary school in the neighboring town. The pick up went fine with the crane doing a nice job. At the drop off I think I lost concentration and over lifted, which pulled the extending boom in on itself and snapped the welds on the back end. I think they were the only welds on there I didn't do, it was a capped section of square pipe, so I used it as it was. Anyway, I was in the right place to mend it with all the welding equipment on hand, so it didn't take a minute to repair with an extra strap of metal for strength. The kiln only dropped an inch or two when the failure occurred, so everything was fine and I was happy that it hadn't happened at a more critical time.
The chap who has this shop was very happy to get the kiln and as we were chatting of this and that he mentioned the solar weather is pretty nasty at the moment, so we should expect some weird weather phenomena like tornados. I was able to tell him that London had just experienced a nasty Tornado, which didn't surprise him at all. I suppose the space shuttle folk are happy that they have earth weather to blame. They won't be wanting to admit that they would have had to cancel anyway because everything out there is having a nice shower of various particles which do not really give the recipient magical super powers.
The chap in the picture is also working at the shop and had been conscripted to play father christmas at the kindergarten today. A busy few hours for us all.
Incidentally, most primary schools are getting rid of this type of equipment as they have no time in their curriculum for these creative practices any more. It is a very bad sign for society, but lucky for you if you are looking for a kiln for free so ask at your local school if you live in Japan.
Same materials as the last few days, slightly bigger paper