Monday, December 04, 2006

Cranes


Left is a side view of the sculpture I was working on last week. It is begining to take shape and the chisel I described the other day made a lot of difference after this was taken. We had a little walking tour come by the house on Sunday and they stopped to look at one of my sculptures that sits by the side of the road at the site of a little local legend. It was strange to hear one of the ladies saying how wonderful it was and then later hear her friend explaining to her what she saw in it and the woman only just then seeing the shape as the others did. I won't mention what she thought it was, but in essence an abstract male form. I think it is best if I let you make your own minds up about any pictures of sculpture, especially when they aren't ready to leave home yet. Scale wise I think the green thing poking out is one of those disposable cigarette lighters.
The crane thing I have been working on is a different matter, so I have put a few notes in the sketch of how it should look once it is up together, maybe it makes sense. Today I took the parts to a friends shop to use his MIG welder on some of the more important welds. I always find it more tiring working on foreign territory and anyway my brain box is all filled up with mechanical thoughts, so the drawing for today is the same.
I guess I could have managed with my own little TIG welder, but it does take rather a long time and I think I need to get the crane moving by Wednesday to take the furnace to the school a day ahead of time or I will be too hassled on the day. I must also look into making up another pot for the aluminium, probably an old propane tank from the stockyard at the reservoir. This is the second incarnation of the crane, so I hope I have learnt something. Fingers crossed.