Thursday, January 18, 2007

Fossils

I just remembered in time to check the oil for the water heater before stepping in for the evening. The wood stove heats the house, but we still rely on the fossilized form of solar power for heating the bath etc. It always makes me think about rigging up a system for heating from the stove, but I still haven't got it figured out yet as the water levels and relative positions are all wrong for the perfection of spring water pouring itself through a pipe into the bath. The shadow cast by my head on the trees opposite was huge with the shape of one of the cedars corresponding nicely to the shape of the hat. These red poly tanks are ubiquitous here in Japan and I found the various lightings from the lantern rather attractive while doing the necessary.
Gouache washes and charcoal on cartridge 25x35cm