Thursday, February 15, 2007

Twistagon

If you look at the plan of the table from yesterday you will see that the central hub for the leg structure is an octagonal post. This is him laid on the bench ready to be cut to length. Here we are doing a last twist in on a line down through the middle of the lump. This guarantees that the lines on either side are in the same plane. Sammy took a moment away from the bucket and spade work to hold the trisquare at the other end. Once I had accurate center lines for four opposite sides I put a line around the chap and chopped the end off. The post is a foot in diameter. My next step is to adapt a chain morice cutting machine to cut all my mortices about five inches deep. I gave that a quick go this evening, and the first move tomorrow will be to sharpen it as it is burning its way through the wood rather than cutting. I found the tool led by the side of the road a few years ago, so I guess it will be a welcome change for it to get some maintenance.
I must make time to buy some bigger paper.
Charcoal on cartridge 25x35cm