Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Shoulder trim

Hiding out behind the bandsaw.
I trimmed all the tenon shoulders this afternoon and made the tenons into a sort of L shape that I think offers enough strength for the design. There is also an issue of clamping and fitting by hammering, so I cut the little step into the pieces that you can see on the right with the little offcut pointing to it. Each leg needs to be fitted to its mortice and luckily the longer section of mortice goes right through the central post, so I can whack them out from the other side with a stake each time they need to be taken out for a bit more work. I like it when some decision works out to my advantage and turns out to be something I can use again. The holes the chain chisel made were pretty true overall and mate up nicely. All these parts are for the table laid out on graph paper back on Feb. 14th.

Charcoal on cartridge 38x53cm