Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Stakes

I think it is sometimes nice to put in the immediate surroundings, here is my drawing area on the floor in front of the sofa with the bowl of charcoal from the stove, the eraser, sletchbook and feet. Just below the floor is where I was working earlier today.
My main job for the day was again on the computer, but I managed to get several leg joints fitted. I place one of the offcuts from the tenon cutting on the little ledge indicated in the drawing yesterday. Where my left hand is here. Then whack on that to force the leg tenon into the mortice.
To get the chap out again for further fitting or once I have a good fit, I put a stake into the mortice on the other side and whack away at that, which is the activity here. The stake is in the mortice down by my right knee bearing on the tip of the tenon for the leg by my left leg. The big plastic hammer from my second hand purchases the other week is coming in handy.
I will saw the little ledges right back as far as I can a little later on, so that the legs are a lot closer to the final shape, but they will stay on to allow some proper clamping purchase when I stick it all together. They will then be chiselled or sanded off.


Charcoal on Cartridge 38x53cm