Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Door panels


Not too much to say about international environment day except that it happens to coincide with my Dad's birthday, so I shall be raising a glass to both these formative influences on my existence later this evening.
I was pleased with the cutter today, and will endeavor to explain a bit about why.
The door timbers are jointed up as you can see, and I moved on to the panels today. I have the ones here in the wrong order really, left to right they are 3,1,2 in order of completion. I normally use a router to cut these kind of raised panels, but the machine doesn't really like its job and I have to take about five passes at each cut taking a little more off each time. That adds up to about 560 cuts with the router with 14 panels to do front and back and four sides each. It is still a lot of cuts with the new tool, but as I said yesterday, I can cut the groove in one pass for each side and then trim off the waste with the tenon cutter or some such. Then I only need to do a bit of sanding and I am ready to scorch up the bits ready to be popped in. I am still cutting out panels at present, but I did a few to check that this method would work OK. I shall be aiming to get the chalks out again tomorrow, but these mechanical activities throw my mind into a different train and a little tinkle on the piano is more what I need.