Monday, June 04, 2007

Nothing ventured


I had one of those video transcription jobs today, so a little distracted.
It seemed to be another of those elephant bracelet days when somethying long thought of finally happens. On the way back from the table delivery I popped in to the junk shop and bought some odds and ends. I was about to leave when I remembered that I had thought about converting one of these cutters to cut a profile, so I went back and got another one to have a go at for about 4 quid. I spent an hour or so ruining the lovely straight edge on the thing, being careful not to over heat, and then went on grinding and honing until I had the one in the front here to a point where I was happy to try running it at low speed, then tried a light cut and finally cut out the groove here in one pass. This should save me a lot of time making up the panels for the door, so it was well worth the effort. I put one of the normal cutters in for reference, they cut clean square grooves or rebates.