Monday, July 16, 2007

Counter work


This is a shot from today's job site. I already had the counter top done, but the rest of the dark stuff here was done over the weekend, mostly Sunday. The carpenter said he would fit the mock beam thing as it makes it easier for them if they leave it till the plaster board is on, then they don't have to cut out any weird shapes to fit round it. So it is just up temporarily for position.The right side of the counter area will have a little hand wash basin and there will be some shelves in both bays and on the walls opposite. it should be a nice little corner when it is done. I will get the doors for the little cabinet area done once I have the door metal work completed. I took along five other little counter tops as well, which are to be fitted later, and I popped the window frame from the other day into the hole provided.

It turned out that my post lunch doubts of yesterday were correct, but the problem was fairly easily resolved and it worked out for the best in the end. The blackening on the lower parts of the structural pillars is a coating of charcoal as a protection against damp and insect damage.
We were not affected at all by the earthquake on the opposite coast, I hope those who were hit get themselves safely sorted soon.