Wednesday, July 25, 2007

State of the nation

Yesterday evening I had another fight with the TIG, the hose was suffering a hemorrhage. I don't think I did too good a job last time I mended it as the flow was so bad the old hose pipe I have it connected to would swell up under the back pressure. This time I applied some of the annealing procedures to the tiny copper pipe cable interface for the "hose" and softened it up to get a better shape to it. It is a fairly simple little arrangement in there with the core wire of the cable running inside a hose so that water can flow right along the metal wire to keep it cool. Then at either end the cable is terminated in these crimped pipe things. Nevertheless it did take a bit of primitive inginuity and hammering to get everything back up together. I had to pull the core right out of its hose, like pulling a snake out of its skin and the clamp it to keep it from retreating back inside while I crimped on the fitting, then coax it back inside its skin again and apply a modified pipe clamp. All better now.
As you can imagine the presence of water on scene when welding is not a happy event. As it is the humidity is so high that if you get any earth failure the old system gets a bit of a jolt.
The metal for the window is just about ready for the final details of drilling holes for screws and bolts to hold it in the door and for the retaining frame for the glass on the inside. Then I will get the young un to apply the tea patina I have described before. Below you can see the fillets from yesterday's picture got some holes put in them in the right places for lock fittings and they are nearly ready to have those little corner bits welded on. My next job is to make some thumb latch fittings to go in the square holes and the actual handle grips.