Sunday, July 22, 2007

Twig welder


Having got the window fitted yesterday I spent a few hours on welding today. Sticking together all those twigs, leaves and blossoms that I have been making for a while. I suppose I needed to see the window in before I could focus on an arrangement. I laid the parts out and had the portable bandsaw on the bench to chop them to size as I went along. Then once I had a few bits wired on to the frame I popped it in the door to see if I was on the right lines. It looked OK, so more of the same tomorrow adding a few more leaves and little buddy blobs along the ends of all the remaining twigs then finally welding the whole lot onto the main frame as unobtrusively as possible.
Raw materials were flat bar, square bar and rounds cut off from rebar from a demolition site as blanks for the flowers.
Texture applied to flat and square bar with tools made for the fly press. Flowers also from tool made for fly press. Welding is all done with a TIG welder from a company called Dayok in Taiwan. This also does plasma cutting, but I haven't used that much yet. It was about 900 dollars when I got it, which seemed like a bargain to me and I have no complaints so far.