Sunday, September 02, 2007

Threading

It is always the last job of the day that seems to stick in my mind, here I am speedily threading a few holes in some steel flatbar to mount the motor under the belt sander. I'll weld the bars on to the frame tomorrow.
I got on OK with the woodwork thanks to more help from Sammy. One of the counter tops this time is kind of L shaped, and the joinery is a bit complicated, so I have glued up the short arm of the L and put it in clamps over night so that I have less bits sliding about when I come to glue up the whole thing. I had Sammy carry the big vice (recently acquired) outside to sit under the veranda and set it up on the stand it came with. It is pretty solid out there now even just sitting under its own weight. It certainly made threading the bar more fun with not a trace of wobble. There is a lot of grip changing with threading metal, having to change directions back and forth as you thread a bit and then back up to snap off the swarf. so that the tap doesn't get all bound up in the hole. I seem to remember being told to do a turn and then back up a quarter, but I don't trust my taps to do more than a half turn before I back them up.