Thursday, November 01, 2007

Penguinals


Morning on the roof laying shingles, but the rain promised by the weather forecast finally showed up in the afternoon. So I was able to help out my daughter with some shelves she is making for her room and add a bit more to the birthday glass card in an extra hour or so. I always get a bit daunted with the drawing phase of these sort of 2D things. It doesn't seem as though it can possibly work out, so I end up just cutting out free hand for the most part and then stitching the patches of stuff together with little touches of engraving.
I try to keep in mind that I need to go in steps from light to dark, but I often mess up and have to remask areas that would be lightened up too much if left exposed. If they are tiny I can just stick my thumb over them to keep the sand off. (With a glove on of course)
I may have one last pop at them tomorrow morning as there is something throat patchy that seems to be needed, but tomorrow is the birthday, so there may not be time. Never mind, it is the thought that counts.