Monday, November 05, 2007

Tiny nails


As you can tell from the underlying scribble. Today was another one where I had to just make random marks on the paper to encourage my brains to draw something.
I hope I will always be an amateur at everything, but I do sometimes wish I had a better set of brain cells for some things. It took me most of the afternoon to fit the row of copper along the front of the roof. Luckily I learned a lot about applying sheet metal to roofs when I ripped the roof off of part of our house a couple of years ago, particularly how to apply the last lot of flashing on a ridge with little clips that are nailed in under the flashing to engage a little lip of metal along the edge. Anyway as a treat for myself just as it was getting dark again I put on another of the corner decorations so that I would have something to look at while packing up for the day. I have just tacked it home with some tiny little nails. It was a bit of a struggle leaning over the edge to get my left hand to obey orders and put itself in the line of fire as well as use some of its digits to keep hold of the new piece snuggly in place. I use needle nosed pliers when I have a lot of pins to place otherwise there would be a digital rebellion. The pins are just a might longer than my fingers are wide, so the chaps get a little squished by each blow of the hammer when it is being forced through the sheet of metal.