Thursday, February 07, 2008

Slice shapes


I managed to rev up the metabolism a little today and saw out more rough planks for chair parts. I then shaped them up on the bandsaw. This box of curvy scraps from the rotten edges has been brought up to feed the stove. The log I cut up was hollow, and I made it into diagonal slices that I am hoping will make arc shapes to form the tops of the back rests for the chairs. I have to do a bit of testing to see if the grain orientation will cause too many problems. It is easily strong enough, but it may shrink and move about too much as it dries out, so the other parts may be pulled out of joint. The blade was on its last legs and the mud and grit from this driftwood have rendered it in need of sharpening or chucking out. I must weld up a few more blades soon.
The dog is a regular consumer of radiant heat from the stove and occasionally gets singed hair on his head from getting too close. I sometimes give him a little nudge just to make sure he hasn't passed out completely like cats sometimes do, losing consciousness as they fall into the swathes of excessive comfort.