Friday, May 16, 2008

Swan necked spooners

The camera just had enough power for one go and I wobbled a bit.
I bought two swan necked gouges when I was in my teens, one of them had a spoon shape to it. It is only in the last few years that I have started to use it. I like swan necked spoony shapes for gouges and have made a few smaller versions for myself and others. The design allows the thumb to act as a fulcrum so you can get a lot of force in behind the little blade as the other hand pulls down on the handle using the whole length of the tool as a lever. The other fingers on the clamping hand anchor the thumb and the work, with a little practice you can get up quite a bit of speed and get the shavings flying even just with work held in your lap.
Don't try this if you happen to be an expendable character in a Hollywood movie, it is sure to result in a very reduced line count in your script and probably a painful demise shortly after the commercial break during which your stage overalls will be ruined with all kinds of spurting stagecraft additives.
Continuing with chair decorations in a day split three ways with swap overs between computer and manual work.
This evening we are hearing our first tentative tree frog chorus. I hope the weather has set warm or they will be getting sore throats.