Monday, August 04, 2008

Rain

More terrific heat today, struggling on outside in a welter of sweat shifting my stack of timber to get at the stuff near the bottom. The little bit of space left from chopping down the tree the other day has immediately been put to use as a temporary stack for all the timber I can't imagine using in any of the up coming projects. Luckily we had just reached a good cut off point when the skies started to roil with thunder. Fat raindrops were soon splattering down once we had the sheets on the wood piles and various other water steering features back in place. Nightfall lent even more drama to the scene as the lightning became more startling. It has been promising rain for many evenings and the thunder has paved the way, but due to dry eye syndrome or some such, not a tear had fallen until today.
Actually the rain seems to have been very selective and aside from falling in sufficient quantity to stop the central line and fill the river it left the surrounding areas completely dry.
Yesterday's wasp had filled one glove finger with all that stuff and was working on another. I had removed it all quite carefully as I was interested to see what was inside and I didn't want to squish what was in there and dirty up the glove interior. I completely forgot about the larder stuff I had left scattered on the floor having returned the gloves to their post taking the precaution of folding them in half to deny access to the fingers.
Then later on I found to my surprise that the persistent mother had spent countless hours collecting everything up and stuffing it back in as best she could as seen above. My fault for placing the gloves in almost exactly the same spot.