Friday, January 23, 2009

Prodigal

I popped down to see how the frogs were getting along this afternoon having mentioned their fondness for the wet yesterday. I was surprised to find that they had left me a little present. The wallet wasn't in the fridge after all, but lying down there next to the pond. I must have dropped it when I went down to check there was spring water coming in when I heard we were due for snow. No eggs in the pond yet, but I was glad to see all the little bits and bobs in the wallet, pictures and whatnot, not to mention the cash as that is always a welcome guest. All drying out on the living room table now, but most of the plastic will just have to be cut up and left out of the transplant operation.
I am not sure what to do with the scrap of shed snake skin I put in the old wallet. This is supposed to bring luck, but I cannot decide whether the loss or the return of the prodigal should be alloted more weight on the scales of fortune. I think I even turned it right side out when I found it, because the head still had the little contact lens scales from the eyes, which I don't often find.
I had a meeting in the morning to discuss another little job dismantling a set of stainless steel stairs and that prompted me to have another go at getting my plasma cutter running properly. It seemed like it might be one of those days where things go right. I wasn't having any joy with the high frequency gap between electrodes adjusted to the measurements mentioned on the Internet, so I decided to just space them right out and work inward. This and a little cleaning did the trick. I think the electrodes must be over a millimeter apart now and the web says they should be about 0.2mm, so if you are having trouble with your machine give it a go. I was glad to see the thing working as it will facilitate work greatly if I can use it on site. Oxy cutting torches have no dominion over stainless steel unless it is thin enough to simply melt away.
The other point was that I had rigged the dual purpose machine to do a quick changeover from tig to plasma, but I had not realized that the TIG torch connection must be disconnected or the plasma torch will not function.