Sunday, January 18, 2009

Frayed


I spent an hour or so on making up a new fitting for the water cooled TIG torch. Yesterday the wire inside the hose snapped, so the thing wasn't working at all. It seemed like a good time to try a new approach. Necessity in this case is simply that I don't want to fork out for a new torch, so I was happy to invent a solution. I think the wire is so frayed and tired in there that bits wash down and clog up the torch. I gave that a blow out too, so we might get a bit more service out of it before the clogs are popped. I abandoned the existing length of tube that connected the wire to the nipple on the end and made a new section to mash down onto the wire and then carefully brazed that on to the nipple. I had nursed that old section of tube through several repairs, but it suddenly lost all value and I spotted it later laying neglected on the floor where I had dropped it. Anyway, I got it all going again and did my last bit of welding on the corner fittings and it did seem to work fine for that. Then in the afternoon I gave the metal parts a coat of paint. I'll give them another one tomorrow if they are dry enough.