Saturday, January 24, 2009

Degrees


We went in to town today to take a look at the degree show my daughter has her work in. She seemed to enjoy the final project in the end and all point counting aside that is the main thing. I am afraid I tend to get a little side tracked by world events sometimes and although I do enjoy drawing for the blog I feel a form of guilt when I switch web pages from news of life in the manmade hell of middle earth to this tiny record of my daily doings. One gets to feeling that there is so much evil being perpetrated that this record of the normalities I enjoy is more like salt in the wound than a balm capable of healing. Nevertheless my aim is for the latter.  I hope that even mildly positive news does help keep the Internet balanced in some small way. And that the children we are turning lose on the world will be well balanced in the gentle strides they take across this earth. 
Even in times of war, days pass and everyday concerns must be attended to. If even there we experience terrible banality how much more banality is there in our everyday lives and how much more justification in taking a short time to have a poke at the brevity of it all and presume to make the audacious step of noting down what has transpired on one turn of the orb. 
It is the dog's birthday tomorrow, perhaps that explains the urge to contemplate the infinite. 
Anyway this morning the kettle was already hot from the stove when I went to refill it for the morning and the sun coming through the window made merry with the many tongues of steam emerging from its mouth and we also have a new and very blue filter on the springwater tap.