Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Upcoming



We are getting a lot of rain, the inclement weather forced me to focus on sketching out a design for an upcoming project. Trying to figure out a suitable shape for the top of the door to follow the curve of a slab of chestnut. The materials are coming together and I have some deadline dates for the frame and the door itself. One other ongoing project is another three benches for the community. I have been working on shaping them and today I got the first one to a point where I could sit on it. Trying to figure out the posting configurations for the blogpress app so that the pictures are not quite so pixy.
I had no joy at all using the iPad camera, but the eyefi card I got for the larger camera is proving useful. It loads the pictures straight on to the pad and I can get them up here.
The other day I took the two benches I made previously to their final resting places along with the current head of the local community. The cherry trees were still in bloom then. A local NPO made several benches, but for some reason they were unable to continue, so I have been pressed into service as a seating manufactory. I didn't care for the labels they put on their creations. They were a kind of printed plastic slab, so I made some steel brands instead. These leave a nice deep mark in the wood when pushed in red hot. Once the charcoal is brushed away and they are polished a little they leave a pleasantly rounded impression that looks almost as if it had been carved into the wood.


Labels: