Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Alexander

I suspect this bird of being a few feathers short of a whatsname. I suppose it is just because our stream is so small and he's so big, but he always looks so scatterbrained squeezing his way around. There are a lot of those stone walls around as the river runs below the road, so I sometimes sneak up on him to get a closer look, he seems a bit lacking in color around the head, so maybe a juvenile bird. Dusk was falling, I was taking a break from digging and just turned round in time to see him cruising down the straight and pulling up short to get round the bend in the river. I always feel slightly sinister digging in the evening, but only churning in some of the ash from the fire, not hiding a silver hoard or severed head.

Goache and charcoal on cartridge 25x35cm