Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Door window 1


Making slow headway with the door window. Today I did a first try out of the basic frame having welded up the central block yesterday. There will be a sort of bar pattern inside that and then some flowery stuff also. The door looks like it has been in the wars as I went round and scorched all those little cove cuts yesterday. I like to split up the roasting sessions as much as possible so that the wood has time to settle down in between.
Work with iron is the most recent of the skills I have attempted to get a grip on, so I am still learning a lot. I usually make rather more organic shapes that are more forgiving for my level of work ability, but this being a very square design it is more of a challenge to get everything trued up properly, or at least close to it.
I am looking forward to the fiddly bits in the middle and the finishing, which makes a lot of difference.
I always forget to mention that if you click on the pictures they should zoom in a bit.