Sunday, June 17, 2007

Door trim


The door seems to be OK having stood for a few days , so I had it back out on the bench today to prepare for the last bit of shaping with the router. I do a little stopped cove cut on each edge of the frame around the panels in these more formal doors. I worry about the end of the cut tearing out, so I put that end in first with a little gouge on all the edges. Some of the angles are a bit awkward, but the basic mode of operation with the tool is the same. I use the ball of my left thumb as a fulcrum and pivot the the tool handle up with my right hand. This was one of the things it took the teachers at that thing back on wednesday a few minutes to get into. Once they had figured it out, it didn't take them long to get some skill at it.
I was also up the trees again today after a long while away from that sort of activity. Taking the tops off of three little conifers, all different, two types of cypress and one cedar. Only about twenty five or thirty foot up at most I think, but a bit of jiggery pokery on the first of them as it was growing up in between electric cables. I just had to take it down in three stages poping each one down in between the wires. I am not a fan of ladders, but the chap had a couple of wooden ones he had made up, so I placed them flat against the trunks and tied them on tight in two spots as I was going up and that got me to where the branches started OK.