Tuesday, June 12, 2007

New kids, new project

I have a couple of volunteer activities this week. Tomorrow teaching teachers how to make things out of natural materials, or that is what I have been told I am to do. Thursday I have a class with a group of kids making stuff. Today I did a slap sash run through of what some of them will try. I prefer to avoid telling them what to make, but if I make some kind of sample it becomes a lot easier for them to see what they might aim for. And generally they take it as a starting point, picking the parts of it they like. All kids in Japanese primary school have their own little box of plasticine, so we are going to use that to make a little photo frame type item by casting some plaster. Pics from the top:-
A moat made with bits of stained glass pushed gently on to the surface in a pattern.
A flat slab added to give a rebate all round the inner edge of the frame.
Plaster poured in.
The frame pulled out still face down.
The frame face up after a bit of trimming.
Anyway, it is a little idea that they might like to try out. I also did a load of material gathering today, buying iron bits and bobs and some tools off of a friend. Made some more iron bits for work and cut my first ever 3/4 inch pipe thread with one of those tools gathered in. Some of the other tools were pipe clamps (Pony clamps) that fit on to 3/4 inch pipe, so the thread cutter should let me make up some more varied sections of pipe for clamps to suit different work. One of my bits of textured bar is also in the pictures by chance on the left. Too many things on the boil, so a certain amount of overflow between them.