Monday, June 11, 2007

Flower press

Still without personal computing, but using our desk top, which is my wife's territory. Despite depression at the loss of my couch computing life I managed to get some work done. I slammed the flower stamp into a disk of hot tool steel and made a negative of it, then housed both in a little hinged device to slam them together in the press and sandwich a work piece.
Above, the press is at the center, my oxypropane torch at right hooked on a gas saver with the little lick of flame as a pilot light. Many other assorted odds and ends, and four little flower pieces on the swage block in front of the press. There is also a bloody great snake coiled up off to the left, but you can't see that here. He siddled off after a while. Something like a grass snake in habits, but with much more handsome markings red and black zig zags. Venomous, but only if you get a really deep bite, the fangs are only very tiny.
The close up on the left shows a bit more detail. I put the blank on the diamond shaped firebrick, heat up, pop it under the sandwich maker (out of position here) and postion it, heat it up in situ while I unhook the rope on the press handle, hook up the torch (which turns off automatically once on the hook) and spin that wheel.