Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Engraving test

Unable to settle on anything today, so I had a quick trial run at engraving for the window from the other day. I did a few sketches of plum blossom again (one vaguely visible behind) and then had a go on a little scrap of glass of the same species as I will be using.
I slipped up once, but it seems like it should be possible to produce something that doesn't look too bad. It is bound to be a bit more difficult on a larger piece, but if I work the design in from the back at first so that I have some divets to follow I should then be able to look through from the front and see what I am doing directly. It is a little bit of a positive negative switch for the brain box, but with some side lighting it shouldn't be too much trouble. I may be able to work a bit bigger than this, too.
I am still a bit confused about how much of a 3D relief to make the "image", but it seems like there is sufficient carvability in the depth of material I have available for quite a good sense of depth.
We shall see.