Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Tanoshimi


Another state of the nation photo I am afraid. The last job of the day was working with sammy to carry the dead oxygen cylinders up to the road ready for pick up tomorrow. Just prior to shutting up shop I had put the stained glass into position between its sandwich of metal, which is the item on the paper.
A little "tanoshimi" for tomorrow. The word basically means something to look forward to here in the Japans. It will be fun to see how well or badly things turn out. Lots of caulking squeeze out to clean up I expect.
I spread caulking on one frame and then placed the little bits of glass with their edges centered on each of the frame divisions, then applied more caulk and dropped the other frame on top. Then put on a piece of plate glass to keep things even on top and added some lead weights. The frames were thin TIG welded steel arrangements painted instead of oil finished as any application of heat would buckle them all up.
When I go to pick up stained glass fragments for use on all sorts of projects I usually take the bags of old framing bits and bobs as well and melt them down in an old pan or something. I popped an old pipe joint in the middle of the round ones here while the metal was still liquid in an old frying pan. Then knocked it out when the metal was cool to pop the lumps on some pipe for use as barbells, the prism shapes were just poured in some angle iron. I don't use lead much, but I tend to stick to it if I see it lying about. I was thinking about making a device to produce the stained glass lead work extrusions, but I didn't have time for that on this project , perhaps one day. I wasn't at all happy with the look of the foil edged stained glass piece even with black patina applied, so I ended up taking it all to bits and doing it this way instead.
You can also make out the stack of timber for planed up today for shelf parts at the back. Also a bit of layout cogitation evident on the temporary bench back there with the plans from the photo the other day.